- Course | THE MAGICAL CRAFT OF CREATIVE NONFICTION LEVEL 1 | 6 Weeks | Mondays | Starts June 5, 2023 | 7-9 pm ET | Live on Zoom
Course | THE MAGICAL CRAFT OF CREATIVE NONFICTION LEVEL 1 | 6 Weeks | Mondays | Starts June 5, 2023 | 7-9 pm ET | Live on Zoom
Join me for a 6-week session of Magical Craft, Level 1 where you learn the essential secrets to writing great creative nonfiction. The class features memoir, micro-memoir, personal narrative, and the flash essay.
We will meet via Zoom on Monday evenings from 7-9 pm ET, starting June 5, 2023--6 sessions over the course of 6 weeks. Meeting dates are June 5 | June 12 | June 19 | June 26 | July 3 | and July 17. We skip the week of July 10.
When I was a young writer, I thought I could teach myself what I needed to know. I thought that if I read enough Welty and O'Connor and Hurston, I could figure everything out. What I learned is that I could be moved by what other writers were doing, yes, but I couldn't understand on my own how they were moving me.
Unfortunately, I lost years. Finally I began to study with great teachers, and I realized what a mistake I'd made. Finally I learned things that I could have never untangled on my own.
We'll dive deep into craft and structure, including practice writing the infinitely usable flash essay and micro-memoir.
However, what I've learned after publishing a dozen books is you need more than craft to be a great writer. You need magic. There's no other word for it.
And I know where you find magic.
In this time together we’ll peer into the deep sources of our power, discover how to tap that power, and learn how to transfer it to the page. We'll talk about what holds us back (our own limiting beliefs). We'll practice wilding our stories and wilding ourselves.
This course can transform your life. It can give you the tools you haven't been able to figure out for yourself to make a story fly. It can set your writing on fire and make you want to sit down and nail your shoes to the floor under your writing desk.
The cost of the live-on-zoon course is $500.
What you get
- six exciting evenings where I pour my heart & soul into your heart & soul.
- my honest, authentic belief in you.
- a chance to learn in a safe space.
- pages and pages of important, useful handouts in pdf form.
- an entire session on publishing and marketing your work.
- interesting readings.
- the opportunity to ask questions of me weekly.
- my substantial edits (developmental, line & copy), if needed & desired, on up to 15 DS pages of your work.
- & of course a receipt to file with your taxes.
Move yourself from stuck to empowered with one decision.
Please note that participant numbers are not limited in this course.